Before General Anesthesia or Sedation
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for eight (8) hours prior to the appointment.
- If medications are to be taken before surgery, they are to be taken with a sip of water only the morning of surgery.
- No smoking at least 24 hours before surgery and approximately 10 days after the surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- Patients who smoke or use marijuana products are not to use any marijuana products for at least 3 days prior to surgery due to possible risks with its use and medications used during surgery.
- It is mandatory that a responsible adult driver accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home. The vehicle and driver must remain at the office until the patient is ready to be discharged from the office and go home. Children and friends are to remain at home, as they are not allowed in the recovery room area.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience or while taking narcotic pain medications.
- Please wear loose fitting, non constrictive clothing, and low-heeled shoes. Females are to wear pants (no dresses, skirts or pantyhose).
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery. If you wear contact lenses, try to leave them at home. If this is not possible, please have them removed prior to being called back for surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with Dr. Jackson or Dr. Dolgash prior to your surgical date for instructions.
For more information about Before Anesthesia or to schedule a consultation with Drs. Jackson and Dolgash, call our office in Olympia, WA at Oral Surgery Associates Drs. Dolgash & Jackson Phone Number 360-456-8610.